Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Selection By Kiera Cass: Review



Review
      For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


 
  I will admit that I was a bit put off by this book. I had bought it in October because I had wanted a light read. And then I picked it up, read the first chapter, and put it down. I started to wonder why I bought this book if it was just a dystopian version of the Bachelor. 
  Recently, I needed a book to read and I picked this one up. I am so glad that I did. Because it was way more than a dystopian version of the Bachelor. It was way more than a girly version of The Hunger Games. It was fantastic. The setting was very nicely described, the characters were animated, and overall the story was really well told and described. 
  

Setting:

  With most dystopian novels, the setting isn't very well described. It is up to the reader to guess what happened and what made society this way. In the Selection, Kiera Cass gave us the history of Illea. She told us exactly what made it the way it was, and yet she also left us guessing. She left us with questions.
  I'm sure they'll be resolved in the next to books, but that's not the point.
  The palace was fantastic. While Cass did not overload us with description, all of the necessary things were described in detail, and I liked being able to see the palace in my head.
  I really enjoyed learning about all of the castes and they're rankings. I liked how it tied back into history, which was really cool. It kind of gives you a feeling that history always repeats itself, in different ways, and gave the story an air of reality.
 
 

  Characters:

  America was a great main character. While she didn't take too long to sort out her feelings, she wasn't over everything in a day. And she also didn't fall in love over night. She wasn't greedy, and her temper was a part of her charm. She was sweet and not stuck up, like a few *Cough Cough,Celeste, Cough, Cough* of the other contestants were. 
  And, to add on to that, I do believe that everyone had a reason for doing what they did. It was never just why did you do it? The person's motives were there to see, and even though I hated a few people's guts, I could understand where they were coming from. 
  Celeste was greedy and vicious, but since she had grown up a Two, it was what she was used to. She was used to being vicious and getting what she wanted 24/7. 
  Aspen, his motives were clear from the start, and yet he made my blood boil. I felt bad for him, and maybe, just maybe, hoped they'd be together. And then he did something that was unforgivable, yet I could still get why he did it. 
  Maxon was very cute. Cass made him a perfect prince and the perfect boy. He didn't know how to cook, and he had some flaws. Especially moments when I hated him almost as much as a hated Aspen, I mean, come on, fight for her! But my anger for Maxon could never last long. He was just so clueless and the perfect character.
  All of the Selected had a different personality, and while it was hard to tell who was who and where they came it at times, I think Cass did a good job giving so many girls a voice.
  America's family very well done. Each one of them had their own personality, and yet they were all loving in their own way. Even if it was hard for them to show it, they all loved America. They were also all supportive, which was nice for a change.
 

Writing and Rating:



    The writing was great. It was not the most elegant writing ever, but it fit America. It was easy to tell this apart from all of the other books I have read. Sometimes the writing starts to blend in with other stories and I can't tell what was said in what. But Cass really has a nice element to her writing. I thought it was not too plain, and not too overdone. It was observant and had America's opinions in it. It was really nice, and overall, I rated this book a 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment