Monday, May 6, 2013

The Great Gatsby b: F. Scott Fitzgerald: Review


The Great Gatsby


Book Review: The Great Gatsby

    This book was really good. It was interesting to read, the characters were likable enough, and the setting was fantastic. Of course, it's just New York in the 1920's, but I find that setting to be very fun to read about.

  Plot

  Now, there were a few things I didn't like about this book. The first thing is that at some points I was just really confused. Of course, that happens a lot in classics, but some things, like the ending, I didn't realize had happened until they were spelled out. So, that was a bit irritating at times, to think that the story was going good and then just not understand a chunk of it. And the second thing was that it was a bit slow in the beginning. But once I got to page forty-eight, the page where Gatsby finally showed up, the story was more exciting.
  However, I loved the lavish parties that Gatsby threw. They were probably my favorite part of the whole entire book next to the ending. Which is a bit bad, but those two things were the most interesting.

Setting

  Like I said earlier, I love the 1920's, so the setting was the best part of the story. There was a lot of description, and at times it was good, but sometimes the description was far too overwhelming. But that didn't happen too often, in my opinion.
 

Characters

  I thought that the characters were likable enough. After reading a few reviews, I though Daisy was going to be some evil person, but I just thought that she was just harmless. Even at the end she didn't seem like a intentionally bad person. And Tom kind of just sucked. I really disliked him, but I think that might have been the angle F. Scott Fitzgerald was going for. If not, I still disliked him. A lot.
  However, I really liked Gatsby. I don't know why, but things he said just made me smile. Especially when he got all worked up over Daisy. It was cute. And then there's Nick. Nick was okay, I guess. I mean, I didn't hate him like Tom, but I don't love him like Gatsby. He's just a person narrating a story about the wonderful and amazing Gatsby.

Writing and Rating

 



   The writing was excellent, minus some of the too-long descriptions. F. Scott Fitzgerald's writing style wasn't amazing, but it was still very lyrical at times. Overall, I would rate this book a 4/5. Yes, some of this ranting may have made me seem like I disliked it, but I actually thought it was a nice read.

No comments:

Post a Comment