Friday, July 26, 2013

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume: Review

 
 
Are You There God? It's Me, MargaretSynopsis (Goodreads): Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" No one ever told Margaret Simon that eleven-going-on- twelve would be such a hard age. When her family moves to New Jersey, she has to adjust to life in the suburbs, a different school, and a whole new group of friends. Margaret knows she needs someone to talk to about growing up-and it's not long before she's found a solution.

 
 
 
The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of this book is that it’s very, very cute. I would definitely recommend this book to young girls. I bought this book when I was in third grade, and I feel like if I had read it back then, it would have been a bit more enjoyable to read. But, I still felt like it was a nice, quick read.
 The book could have been a little bit longer. The first few pages were slightly rushed; Margaret meets Nancy, and they become friends. I feel like it would have been a bit more realistic if they had been friends, but not super close friends within the first few pages of the book, as you don’t always click with your best friend right away.
 I thought that the themes of God and what you believe in were really well done in this book. It was interesting to see how an eleven year old processed it all, and it was done in a way so that younger children could read it and understand it.
 I thought Margaret was a really well-written character. She was funny, girly, and she was very realistic. However, I felt like she was a bit immature for a sixth grader, and she accepted lies too easily Nancy fed her lies about other people, and she accepted them far too easily. And then, when she confronted the person and they told her Nancy had lied about them, she turned on Nancy. I believe that that is something an eight year old would do, not a eleven/twelve year old.
 This book was a bit rushed, had realistic but immature characters, and explored some things that most books written for young kids won’t. I liked the story, and it was a very quick read, and I enjoyed read it, so I gave Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret four out of five stars.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment