Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Reached by Ally Condie: Review

Reached (Matched, #3)
Synopsis: (Goodreads.) After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.




**Minor spoilers. Sorry, I couldn’t help myself!**
 So, I normally wouldn’t do a review of the third book in a trilogy without reviewing the first two books, but this is an exception. The first two books were very boring and I don’t remember too much about them. But, since they were too boring to reread, I picked up this book with little memories from the first two books.
  
  The only two characters I liked in this book were Lei and Xander. Cassia and Ky were just irritating and shallow. When Cassia first heard of the Plague, did she think about her family? No, she thought about Ky. When she finds out about how her family is in danger, did she worry about them? No, I’ll just forget about them within five minutes. There is a fine line between not caring about them and being strong, and Cassia is in the not caring category.
  
  I also thought that Ky, who was supposed to be deep and kind and thoughtful, was not done very well. I could see Condie’s attempts to make him a strong character, but her attempts were not done very well.
 And the thought of this book being about a love triangle makes me scoff. Triange? There was no doubt in my mind who she would choose, and she chose within the first twenty pages. Though I liked Xander, I didn’t want him to end up with Cassia, and I really didn’t like Ky, so either way I would have been unhappy.
  
  Now, even though I’ve practically been bashing this book, I really enjoyed most of it. I liked the concept of the Plague, though I wish it had been a part of the story from book one because it seemed a little out of the blue.
I really love the Society that Condie made. It felt realistic and it was terrifying, seeing how no one learned to actually write. There were only one hundred paintings, stories, and songs. Everything else had been banned, and that was a really interesting concept.
  
  This story was very captivating and it held my attention from page one. Even though I emohasized my annoyance with certain things at the beginning of the review, they really didn't bother me that much. The writing was very lyrical and I really enjoyed the reading experience. So, overall, I would rate this book 4 out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment