Tuesday, June 10, 2014

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: Review


We Were Liars 
Synopsis: Goodreads
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

  Part of what made this novel so fantastic was that I had absolutely no idea what it was going to be about. I recommend that you do not try and find out any more than what this synopsis tells you. Why? Because you will be spoiled, and your experience will be ruined. Unless you guess the ending. In that case, your reading experience will be ruined, too. Do not go into this trying to piece together the puzzle. Just go with the flow, and I promise that you will have your heart broker. Just. Like. Me. 
  The writing was fantastic. I was 
very confused as to why 
some sentences 
were 
written 
like this, but it really didn't bother me that much. I'm used to Ellen Hopkins and Laurie Halse Anderson, so this was perfectly fine. But the words were so lyrical and it just added to my whole reading experience. 
  The characters were amazing as well. Especially Cady. And Johnny and Mirren and Gat. I loved them all, and I loved reading their interactions. 
  And the ending, oh the ending. I'm still broken. I wish I could just rip this book out of my heart forever. It's still feeding off of my soul this very second. But I can't do that. To do that would be an insult to the author and Gat and Mirren and Johnny and Cady. I can't do that. 
  Thinking about this book is making my brain and my soul break. I just can't. I can't come up with synonyms to words that I've used time and time again in this review. So I should probably stop writing. 
  But let me just say, I thought I new the twist at the end. I thought I had it pinned from the first freaking page. But I was wrong. Sure, a lot of people guessed it, but they weren't stone cold hard set on what they thought had happened. Sure, I'm not the next Sherlock Holmes, but I'm happy that I didn't guess the ending. Maybe then it might not be my favorite book of the year so far. Obviously 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment